Wednesday, May 11, 2011

First Watch

After a safe departure from Honolulu Harbor, masterfully orchestrated by Captain Phil, the Seamans is 24-hours underway on its southerly course. The enthusiasm of all on board has endured through a first day that was dizzying both in terms of information volume and the steady rocking of the ship, which generated more than a few green faces and lost lunches.

Despite the intensity of the first day, I am overcome by a deep feeling of serenity after my first dawn watch (0300-0700), a feeling that I have never been more at home. Manning the ship's helm last night on a course that seemed to be marked by the overhead glow of the Milky Way is a memory I will treasure. The highlight of my first morning, though, had to be the hour I spent on bow watch leaning into the warm breeze and gazing down at the twinkling sea of bioluminescence swirling vibrantly from the ship's wake.

Our first sunrise brings the promise of many more memories like these and the opportunity to carry out some exciting science in the days to come.  Hopefully, somewhere along the way, we'll all find our sea-legs as well.

-Nicolas E. Mendoza
Class of 2012

No comments: